your child’s experience abroad to be a real success, both personally and academically, you must choose the most suitable international school. For this, several criteria come into play.- The duration of the expatriation . It is decisive in your choice. A short expatriation will lead you to turn preferably to a French school abroad. Thus, the transition between the period outside France and the return to national territory will be smoother for your child.
– The child’s experience and his ability to adapt. A first expatriation for a child can be a source of stress. New country, new environment, new way of life… The junior expatriate also needs to adapt. The younger ones generally acclimate faster. For teenagers, the question can sometimes be more delicate and their emotions will influence your choice.
– The language program of the school . This criterion is important if you opt for a bilingual or English-only international school and your child does not speak English fluently. It seems essential to check that there is a program allowing your child to strengthen his language skills for better integration.
– Your child’s academic success. It seems obvious, but your child’s future is at the center of your concerns. Schools that offer tutoring or programs designed to improve student achievement are worth considering.
– The development of human qualities . One of the attractions of the international school lies in its ability to go beyond school curricula. Teaching methods, environment, extra-curricular activities… consider the elements that will influence your child’s human skills.
– The atmosphere and reputation of the school. Your child will spend a good part of his day in his school. Before registering, visit it, meet teachers and parents to determine if the atmosphere seems conducive to the development of your child.
– Registration fees . Tuition fees abroad can be high. Some employers add them to the mobility package, even if there is no obligation to do so.
Focus on International Schools in France
France has many international schools welcoming students from kindergarten to high school, middle school and primary school. They are an ideal alternative when you return after several years spent abroad and want your child to pursue an international course. If you are looking for an international school in Paris, we invite you to consult our selection of the best establishments in the capital
below- American School of Paris (ASP)
Located just outside Paris, in Saint-Cloud, in the Hauts-de-Seine department, this school accepts students from 3 to 18 years old. It gives its courses mainly in English and prepares for the international baccalaureate.
British School of Paris (BSP)
Located in Croissy-sur-Seine, in the Yvelines, this school welcomes pupils from the middle section of kindergarten (reception class) in secondary. It models its organization and programs on British education and uses English as the language of instruction.
Operating with small classes, this bilingual school in Paris is located in the 12th arrondissement of the capital. It operates according to the French educational model and welcomes students from kindergarten to terminale. In addition, it offers preparatory classes for the Grandes Ecoles and preparation for the “English as a second language” exams at the University of Cambridge.
– International Bilingual School (EIB)
Since 1954, this school group has offered bilingual French-English education. With five establishments spread across inner Paris and a school in Saint-Cloud, it teaches children from kindergarten to high school. The EIB offers three courses integrating 25% to 75% of English in the lessons. This school bases its teaching on the French, British and American academic systems.
This school, located on two sites in the heart of Paris, pushes language learning a little further by offering courses in three languages. In addition to bilingual lessons in French and English, students can add German or Spanish from kindergarten through middle school. It follows the French school organization. Eurécole is also aimed at children who are discovering France thanks to its French as a Foreign Language courses.
– International School of Paris (ISP)
Located in the 16th arrondissement of Paris, it is one of the only schools in France to offer the three programs of the international baccalaureate. It welcomes students from 3 years old up to grade 12 (equivalent to terminale). Although instruction is provided in English, French lessons are introduced at each level.
– Lennen Bilingual School
This Franco-American and bilingual school mainly welcomes kindergarten and primary school students. Based in the 7th arrondissement of the capital, it bases its educational program on child development and provides instruction in French and English.
– Lycée-Collège International de Paris – Honoré de Balzac
English, German, Arabic, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese… The Balzac college and high school offers six international sections in each of these languages. Installed in the 17th arrondissement of Paris, at Porte de Clichy, it opens its doors to bilingual students, from sixth to final year. In this international high school in Paris, high school students can prepare for the international mention of the French baccalaureate (OIB). The middle school and high school are the only public establishments in the capital to follow this path.
Marymount International School, Paris
Welcoming students from 2 to 14 years old, this international school is located in Neuilly-sur-Seine. A Catholic school, it has existed since 1923. It focuses as much on the development of the child as on academic success.